Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Alchemist Pub & Brewery

Fourth stop: Alchemist Pub & Brewery

Beers: Unknown

So the Alchemist Pub & Brewery was actually my fourth stop on this leg of the world wind tour that is the Vermont Breweries tour (okay I do realize that I started this process long ago, but where’s your Vermont Breweries swag?) and all kidding aside I really did slack at writing a post for this. I guess I always kinda counted on the Alchemist being there, just waiting in Waterbury to greet me like an old friend, offering delicious seasonal libations as well as old favorites and their own twist on Pub food. But alas this story (at least for now) will not have a happy ending. Disaster strikes in the form of hurricane Irene and unless you live under a rock (or in a Geico commercial) I’m sure you are aware of Irene. You might be asking yourself, “but Travis, don’t you live in Vermont?” The answer is yes, yes I do but unfortunately that did not stop the destructive path of this Tropical Storm. Usually I’d never use the words “Tropical” and “Vermont” in the same sentence unless I was referring to a drink I might’ve partook in that came with a little umbrella (ella, ella, a, a) but this isn’t one of my usual bad jokes. Irene ripped our poor state a new one, causing flash flooding that devastated the southern part of our state. I’m one of the Vermonters that lives in the Burlington area so if you talk to other Vermonters I’m not really one of them. But I can tell you we all feel the pain when something this horrible happens, and just to get serious for a moment before I go back to talking about beer…

If you want to donate please feel free to do so any way you feel like. I say any way you feel like because I posted (I should say re-posted) a link on Facebook that I saw on Switchback Brewery’s page for a T-shirt that was designed by Independent Vermont Clothing. And without getting to preachy (pulls up his soap box) people thought it would be okay to try and use that as a sounding board for their own opinions on just how you should donate. YOU MISSED THE POINT PEOPLE! Some people won’t donate unless they feel like there is something in it for them. So whether they give blood, donate directly to the Red Cross, or buy a T-Shirt, as long as they do something THEY ARE HELPING! Okay enough on that (they’re helping you overzealous A$$#OLES!) seriously, I’m moving on…

The Alchemist Pub & Brewery is one of the places to face such devastation (see Jaclyn, I did tie it all back in) and has been forced to close its doors… For now, the light at the end of the tunnel is, according to their Blog, that the Alchemist will “Like a phoenix from the flames… …be reborn.” And while we are waiting for its triumphant return you can still help support the brewery by heading to their new cannery and purchasing some of their newly canned Heady Topper Double IPA. I’ll report back to all you hop heads out there once I return with cans in hand (according to their Twitter Feed they ran out of cans until Wednesday the 7th). I just hope I can make it out of work and to the Alchemist Cannery on time to pick some up, but even if I miss it you shouldn’t, cans go on sale at eleven, be there!
With a heavy head I walk away from this post wishing back last summer when I made the trek I took the time to report back my findings. I know the only thing that could really cheer me up is one of their awesome Brew Burgers and fries, but alas I’ll have to wait a little longer for that…


No comments:

Post a Comment