Monday, February 24, 2014

Banana Pancakes


“But, baby, you hardly even notice, when I try to show you this, song is meant to keep ya, from doing what you're supposed to, waking up too early, maybe we can sleep in, make you banana pancakes, pretend like it's the weekend now…” – Jack Johnson.

You can love him or hate him, but in this house Jack Johnson is the man. The mellow acoustic jams and family friendly lyrics are perfect to listen to with our little guy without having to worry just which four letter word he’s going to pick up like most music on the radio, or should I say Pandora because I don’t remember the last time I listened to the radio outside of the car when Jaclyn is driving. Maybe it’s because In Between Dreams is in heavy rotation around these parts or maybe it’s Maybelline, but Banana Pancakes has become more than just an anthem for lazy days; it’s now become a favorite breakfast recipe as well. And I know, I know, the recipe is not the usual kind I make because, well, where’s the bacon? Where’s the beer? Where’s the crazy? Well settle down and give it a second. When I’m making food for The Professor I have to tone down the crazy, at least a little bit, but when the son goes down here comes the moon and I let the wolf out, or at least the pig? In other words yeah you can make these pancakes as advertised or you can add a little peanut butter, some chocolate chips and of course everyone’s favorite meat candy and have some out of this world pancakes that are anything but baby friendly. On any other day I’d love to smoother said pancakes in a little Jack Daniel’s laced syrup as well, but much like the lyrics to the Jack Johnson song we’re only pretending this is the weekend; J still has to work so this recipe remains alcohol free, but hey there’s always next time. 

Like most things that I make in my kitchen, this recipe comes from the Internet and was submitted by user ADDEAN1 to Allrecipes.com. I’ve included the link, but just incase something disappears or changes I’ve also listed the recipe below:


Banana Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour                   1 tablespoon white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder            1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten                                   1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil             2 ripe bananas, mashed

Directions:
1. Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together egg, milk, vegetable oil and bananas.*
2. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture; batter will be slightly lumpy.**
3. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake.*** Cook until pancakes are golden brown on both sides; serve hot.

*And when you’re ready to step it up a notch this is where you’d add 1/2 cup of Peanut Butter.
**For extra flavor action add three strips of crumbled up bacon.
***For the final level of insanity I add chocolate chips by hand once the batter is already on the griddle to ensure each pancake gets it’s fair share of chocolaty goodness.


So there you have it, an awesome recipe for Banana Pancakes and a great way to start out any day, whether or not it’s the weekend or even raining outside. Did you try the recipe and think you can do better? Or did your grandmother pass you down a family recipe that you think is better than this one and you feel like sharing it? Either way, feel free to leave comments below and let me know what you think of the banana pancakes or submit a crazy recipe that you’ve found on the Internet and I just might make it.  
Stay Hungry my friends…

The lil' dude abides

No comments:

Post a Comment